Sunday, March 6, 2011

Such Good Company

Sitting this morning, I found myself full of joyful resolve and gratitude for the gift of mindfulness practice. 

Sitting this morning, I entertained three wise guests - a wink to Rumi :) . . . 

First was the Buddha whose words in the Satipatthana Sutta I could still hear,
". . . this is the direct path for the purification of beings, for the surmounting of sorrow and lamentation, for the disappearance of pain and grief, for the attainment of the true way, for the realization of Nibbana-namely, the four foundations of mindfulness . . . here a bhikkhu . . . sits down . . . having set his body erect . . . and established mindfulness in front of him, ever mindful he breathes in, mindful he breathes out . . ." 
Second was Jon Kabat-Zinn whose simple recommendation to a few of us at the end of the Wisdom 2.0 conference stayed with me,
"Just get up a half hour early every morning and sit for 30', that's all."
Last was, the image of the elder nun, Uttama, sitting in one spot,
"For seven days I sat in one spot, absorbed in rapture and bliss. On the eighth, I stretched out my legs, having burst the mass of darkness."
Sitting in such good company . . . Do you #wannasit with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment