Sunday, November 4, 2012

Word For Word

Every time I sit down for practice, I remember these specific words from the Maha-Satipatthana Sutta:

Focused on the body in and of itself

- ardent, alert, and mindful - 

putting aside greed and distress with reference to the world [. . .]

Having gone to an empty building, [he] sits down [. . .], 

holding his body erect 

and setting mindfulness to the fore. 

Always mindful, he breathes in; mindful he breathes out. 

"Breathing in long, he discerns, 'I am breathing in long'; or breathing out long, he discerns, 'I am breathing out long.' Or breathing in short, he discerns, 'I am breathing in short'; or breathing out short, he discerns, 'I am breathing out short.' 

He trains himself, 'I will breathe in sensitive to the entire body.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out sensitive to the entire body.' 

He trains himself, 'I will breathe in calming bodily fabrication.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out calming bodily fabrication.'

Each one of those points an essential instruction for sitting practice . . . No need to read long books, or listen to more teachings. One could spend a life time just practicing this. 

2 comments:

  1. I every so often forget these wise words. Thank you so much for reminding me.
    May you be happy at heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every morning standing in the yard
    "Breathing out I know I am breathing out
    Breathing in i know I am breathing in"
    Hearing Thích Nhất Hạnh's voice...
    http://simpleopenspace.blogspot.com/2012/09/plum-village-bell-meditation.html
    Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete